303 - Open Graded Drainage Course
The plans and proposal should be reviewed for notes or special provisions pertaining to open graded drainage course (OGDC). OGDC is intended to provide a stable base for the paving operation and positive drainage for the completed pavement structure. Test strips are generally required for establishment of a construction method for placement and compaction that will not cause degradation or segregation of the OGDC material.
The inspector should look for the following during placement of OGDC and concrete pavement:
- If the material is required to be stabilized, check for good coverage of the aggregate with asphalt or portland cement.
- Proper compaction of the OGDC prior to placement of dowel baskets.
- Finished surface should be free of holes, ruts and ridges.
- The Contractor must repair any areas which become contaminated by fine material.
- No traffic, including hauling units, is allowed on OGDC except in ramp or gore areas.
Measurement of OGDC will be according to the standard specifications and any special provisions.
MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT